Re: DATABASE HANGS WITH SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE

  • From: Mogens Nørrgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:50:50 +0200

I agree with the other members who responded that probably it's just a case of SMON having to do a lot of work - and not using old-school tablespace types. There is one other possibility perhaps: The ugly, old bug w.r.t. memory leaking and Shutdown immediate just hanging. I think the usual workaround still works:

event="10262 trace name context forever, level 0"

Again, it's probably just a completely normal thing you're seeing, but it MIGHT be the bug rearing its head again.

Mogens

Ahmed Ullah wrote:

Hello all:
We have Oracle 9.2.0.5 database ( single Note RAC ). There were some heavy batch jobs running which cuased the db hang ( only sys connection was working ).
We tried to bring down the database after cleaning all sessions. It did not go down with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. We had to abort it. I tried to bring down the DB three times with SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE it never went down.
SMON was trying to cleanup the used extents ( Metalink Note - *1076161.6* ) as we could see in the alert log file - *Waiting for smon to disable tx recovery*.
SQL> select count(block#) from fet$;
COUNT(BLOCK#)
-------------
38
fet$ - free extents
SQL> select count(block#) from uet$;
COUNT(BLOCK#)
*52905*
uet$ - used extents
We can share the alert log and system level 10 trace files if anyone wants. These traces were generated when db hung.
Appreciate your help.
Thanks,
-ahmed

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't
be called research, would it?" --Albert Einstein

New Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman5/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39666/*http://messenger.yahoo.com> and save big.