Re: Can't get INSERT /*+ APPEND */ to indicate direct load in execution plan.....

  • From: "Radoulov, Dimitre" <cichomitiko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 00:33:45 +0100

On 31/10/2011 20:09, Bobak, Mark wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to get direct load insert working.  I'm running 11.2.0.2.0 RAC on
> Linux x86-64.
>
> The table is range partitioned, and has one XMLTYPE column with SECUREFILES
> BINARY XML storage.

[...]
I found these:

bit.ly/tJlCBT

No Parallel DML for XMLType -- DML operations on |XMLType| data are
always performed in serial. Parallel DML is not supported for |XMLType|.
(Parallel query and DDL are supported for |XMLType|.)

I didn't read the whole document,
but it seems that one could use parallel DML with the XMLIndexes:

bit.ly/sIUkH0

You can use a |PARALLEL| clause (with optional degree) when creating or
altering an |XMLIndex| index to ensure that index creation and
maintenance are carried out in parallel. If the base table is
partitioned or enabled for parallelism, then this can improve the
performance for both DML operations (|INSERT|, |UPDATE|, |DELETE|) and
index DDL operations (|CREATE|, |ALTER|, |REBUILD|).

And this one close as "Not a bug":

Bug 6453331: INSERT INTO TABLE WITH COLUMN OF XMLTYPE IS NOT USING PARALLEL

Status 92 - Closed, Not a Bug

Regards
Dimitre