RE: Bigfile tablespaces and ASSM.....

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:33:51 -0400

I'm not saying that bigfile w/ ASM makes more sense than bigfile on NAS
or CFS.  Just that it makes sense, if you're using ASM, to also use the
bigfile option, and not have to deal with adding datafiles all the time.
(The database I'm moving is around 700GB total, lots of tablespaces,
some as large as 100TGB, all w/ 2GB raw volumes, served up from an EMC
SAN via VxVM.)  I like the idea of having a "pool" of storage (the ASM
diskgroup, in this case), that each tablespace can automagically
allocate from as needed.  The same could be achieved via NAS or CFS, and
you could simply grow the filesystem, rather than the ASM diskgroup.

I'm not sure what the argument, if any, there is for ASM over NAS or
CFS, or vice versa.  Perhaps that it's free from Oracle, no extra
licensing?  But I suspect, whichever way you go, you're likely to trade
one set of problems/bugs/headaches for another.

I don't see any strong compelling reason for or against ASM at this
point.

-Mark
--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.  --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988