p2rd

  • From: philwh@xxxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:54:46 -0500

Hi.
I must agree, at this stage of development,
I would not plunk down over $3000 for the device.
however, I do think if oleg can solve the user interface problems,
and can make it read text at a distance, and also read
round objects, it might be a useful device
at some point. it also depends on
how the display works. it will use
some sort of braille like display,
so as I pointed out to oleg, not to useful
for realtime applications, but
perhaps useful for some
other applications where the
graphic image can be studied at leisure.

as far as reading a book, yes,
the optacon or k1000 is a much better choice.
if oleg can get the ocr engine to run inside the camera
eliminating the computer, it would also make it
more useful.
time will tell.
he has invited me down to his office
to see more.

perhaps I will take him up on his offer at some point.
i think he is looking for feedback
from experienced users, including
optacon users.
but, i am not willing to pay to be