optacon on Ipaq: charge of the light brigade

  • From: dg140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles Pond)
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:35:09 -0500 (EST)

The optacon's retina has between 100 and 144 pixels.  I read of a tiny camera
which goes with the Ipaq which has over a million pixels in its small
sensor.  The Ipaq forms the basis for the PacMate and the Maestro PDAs.
Does this technology not hold potential for a future optacon device?
Scanners can also connect to Ipaqs, so a work station is indeed possible.
The Optacon II's display has successfully been driven by a host,
computerized device.

The ongoing bottle neck is the display.

Someone here will build me a replica of an optacon display so that it
can be shown to some industry friends in India in January.  A weak
thread, perhaps?  A slap against creeping obsolescence?  An attack against
overwhelming odds?

Has Oleg's tactile display for the P2RD changed in any way?

Charles