[optacon-l] Re: Yet Another Neat Optacon Story

  • From: Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:27:50 EST

Dianne:
I too have used the optacon to read music but like you I found it too
tedious and time consuming. I just play popular music and jazz so like you I've

decided the easiest way is to use my ear, or braille music when I can get
it.  The optacon can be used to read music, but it takes forever. The one
thing I use  it for in this vein is to read chord symbols when I'm just not
hearing the  harmonies in a piece well enough to get what I want. With chord
symbols it  doesn't take forever and you don't have to deal with the staff.

Gail

Saeed,
I found your comments about wanting to read music notation with  the optacon
interesting and touching because way back in 1977 when I was  first trained
with the optacon, I, too, had that hope. It is doable, but very  very
tedious
and difficult at best because of the amount of space the musical  staff
takes
on the page. Instead of being able to scan straight across as we  would do
with a printed line, you have to scan kind of up and down in peaks  and
across. While I could do it and could recognize the notes and symbols,  I
found it just too tedious and hand intensive to make good use of.
For  music, I would look into computerized programs which are very costly
but
which can translate print music into Braille and reproduce it on a  Braille
embosser. This is extremely costly, and I haven't done this, opting  instead
to use my ear, though if you are a professional musician, it might be  worth
the investigation.
Having said all of that, it would be worth your  while to try the optacon
just for the experience, but as a college trained  musician, I didn't make
use of my optacon in that way.
Dianne