THE OPTACON

  • From: brian payne <b.payne234@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: braille@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 11:22:04 -0000

dEAR Friends,

I began using the Optacon in 1973 and became a teacher of this device in 1978
after visiting the US schools and establishments involved with teaching both
children and adults.  I then began teaching in my spare time and used the
Optacon in my work, mainly to read specifications and reports involved with my
job.  I used the machine until TSI ceased development and sales.

I founded a national charity in England to supply machines to blind adults and
children and managed to teach a significant number of people to read with the
device.  I was disappointed when development stopped because, in spite of OCR
devices, there is still a significant need for the Optacon to read documents,
diagrams and locate signature blocks.

I still have a couple of machines but do not currently use them because the
batteries are flat.  I believe the cost of using these machines has increased
significantly now and this makes it difficult to continue to keep the product
in working condition.  I am, however, very interested to learn that you are
reviving the interest in the Optacon and would support this effort in any way I
could.  Unfortunately, the charity Electronic Aids for the Blind (EAB) no
longer exists so I am no longer in a position to raise funds.  I do, however,
possess considerable skills in using and teaching the use of the Optacon and
would be pleased to her from you about your plans and what is happening at
present, and where.

Yours sincerely,

Brian Payne

29 Oleander Close