[optacon-l] Re: Request for some advice

  • From: don bishop <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 21:05:46 -0800

Richard,

The pins of the optacon array are meant to be felt rather lightly so the
finger can more easily distinguish the shape of the character being
displayed.  You should keep the camera moving and not stop  in one place
to spend time in feeling the shape of the character as indicated by the
vibrating pins.  To stop on the pins tends to lessen the feeling of the
finger and causes it to be less sensitive.

Pressing down too hard on the array could certainly cause damage and
also would lessen the effectiveness of the optacon in reading.

I hope this answers your question.

Don