[optacon-l] Reinoud et al on list: thoughts on in-rush current and bypass capacitors for the display

  • From: "C. Pond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon list" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 14:13:09 -0400

Reinoud, Dave, Nigel, richard et al: one might think of, and even model, each
magnetic resonating tactuator as a kind of linear motor. Each one does require
an in-rush current as it gets going, and does produce a slight back-EMF as
well, just like a motor. Looking at it now—and I might be over-thinking the
problem—it might be that a single set of bypass capacitors large and small in
parallel will not suitably account for this in-rush current from so many
tactuators and in their dynamic arrangements and operation. This is not
resonance, which can be handled by a suitably designed power supply. If it
were practical, I would bypass each and every tactuator, but it is not
practical. Because of the dynamic nature of a tactile magnetic array always
vibrating and always changing—somewhat fluid indeed—bypassing each row or
column of tactuators does not seem to be a good solution. I have come across
actuator-driven devices before, and they are not densely packed vibro-tactile,
so it was easier to take into account their in-rush currents. Even washing
machine motors have a fierce in-rush capacitor associated with them, and also
the magnetrons of microwave ovens.
So, any thoughts about how to either use these many in-rush currents
effectively for some use, or truly negate them and their effects by using more
than one suitably calculated bypass cap? The calculations are not as
straightforward as first apparent because of the very multi-dynamic nature of
this kind of magnetic motor display.

Thank you to anyone for thoughts,
Charles in Ottawa

Tell your friends about the list. They can subscribe by sending a message to: