Re: Re: Smith Korona typewriter ribbons

  • From: Richard Oehm <oehmelec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:28:42 -0700

Repairing Smith Korona typewriters is not a very lucrative pursuit, and
I don't think that we'll make a habit of repairing them, at Oehm
Electronics.  However, if anyone is having a serious problem with their
Smith Korona typewriter, I'll see what can be done to help.  Feel free
to contact me at my E-Mail address (oehmelec@xxxxxxx).  An alternative
suggestion to those folks who have Smith Korona typewriters in need of
repair, is to see if you can obtain a used replacement typewriter.  The
Smith Korona typewriters were very popular and many were manufactured.
If you can find a used working Smith Korona typewriter, you need only
swap covers with your modified typewriter that you're using with your
Optacon, and your back in business.  The cost of a used working Smith
Korona typewriter will likely be much less than the cost of getting your
nonworking typewriter repaired.  Check your local garage sales,
Craigslist, or E-Bay for these used typewriters.  A few months ago,
someone was giving a working Smith Korona model 2200 away.  They had an
ad posted in our local newspaper.  Even if you're having no trouble with
your Smith Korona typewriter, it might be a good idea to keep your eye
out for a used replacement model.  No doubt, these items will become
more scarce as the years pass.

Richard Oehm    E-mail: oehmelec@xxxxxxx