Print Version of the Optacon Training Manuals

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:51:29 -0400 (EDT)

If someone wanted to share the training manuals with developers or anyone
else, the best way of producing a copy would be to xerox it. As Mary and I
tried to explain yesterday, everything in the manuals is positioned and
designed to illustrate specific techniques. Practice pages appear in many
different type faces, type styles, and sizes. The layout of the text on
the pages is designed to allow students to practice very specific things.
I'm not saying that a scan would be impossible. A truly skilled person
could probably produce a .pdf file which when re-printed would replicate
the original but us ordinary folks, especially those with no sight
wouldn't even come close. As a Braille transcriber I scan a lot of stuff
and I would have to tell you from experience that it simply won't work.
When I sent pages from the manual to Dave Simpson who was teaching the
young student from England how to use the Optacon, we used a copy machine.
It's easy, fast, and, unless the copy machine itself is not working right,
the copy will render the exact layount of the manuals. The correction time
alone on a scanned copy would be outrageous.
Catherine