[optacon-l] First time on the list

  • From: "Richard Turner" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:53:53 -0800

Greetings,

I just heard about this list.

I would love to see a new OPTACON produced.
I received my first OPTACON in 1972.  I did the trade in around the mid 80's
when they had run out of one of the main parts.  That machine is still
working, knock on wood.

I used it far more when I was single.  It allowed me to manage my bills and
other typed correspondence completely independently.
I use it now fairly seldom since my wife reads the mail to me.  However, I
still bring it out when she isn't here to check the way something has
printed, read labels, etc.

I teach at the Oregon Commission for the Blind, and there are many people
who could benefit greatly from a new OPTACON.

I would like to get the list of people who repair OPTACONs and I will post
that on my web site, along with information about this list; if that is OK.

If the repair people are in a message on the archives, if someone could
direct me to at least the time period when that was discussed, or the
subject line, I am sure I could find it there.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens from all the work you all have
already put in to getting someone to take this technology seriously.

Richard
www.turner42.com