Eleven Weeks, Survey Update

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 08:40:47 -0400 (EDT)

AWAITING THE HARVEST
        During this past week we have received no new surveys. We have,
however, posted to a variety of magazines and newsletters. We also have
two volunteers working the upcoming conventions to spread the word about
the Optacon. One of our new Optacon users has placed messages on at least
one of the blind ad lists hoping to unearth more Optacon corpses for us.
Optacons also seem to keep turning up on ebay.
PODCASTS
        We now have two podcasts dealing with the Optacon. Rachel, in a
recent message, described the podcast she made demonstrating the Optacon
to potential users. Mary Emerson has had a podcast available for a while
giving basic information about the Optacon.
TRAINING TIPS
        This week's list topic of interest was a lot of tips for our newer
Optacon users. When I get time, I'll compile these recent messages into
one and add it to those documents we have available. I will also send it
to those new users who have not yet joined our list.
ISOLATING THE UNIQUE USES FOR THE OPTACON
        I don't know of any other device that can read the label on a
crayon. The company name and the color of any given crayon are printed
right on it.
THE OPTACON REPAIRER LIST
        If anyone knows of any other repairers, let Richard Oehm know. His
current list includes Pentronics in Australia, Fred Stam in Canada, Dave
Godfrey in England, and in the U.S. Richard himself, Leo Drell, and David
from Sighted Electronics. If you know of any others, email Richard at
oehmelec@xxxxxxx
THAT'S IT FOR NOW. As always, I'll keep you posted with anything
late-breaking or earth-shaking.
Catherine