[optacon-l] Braille Preservation Service Offered

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:59:24 -0500 (EST)

This is very off-topic for this list so please reply to me directly if you
have any interest.
I am currently working a lot with the Optical Braille recognition software
called OBR. Briefly, it allows me to scan hard copy braille material into
the computer. This is useful if you have braille material that is:
        1. worn out and needs to be replaced;
        2. single-sided which you would like shrunk to double-sided;
        3. an original document which you would like to place on computer
but do not care to retype;
        4. a thermoform or one-of-a-kind book for which there is no other
copy.
If you are interested in having any braille material scanned into the
computer, please contact me off-list. We can discuss pricing etc.
The material can also be music scores, foreign language, or mathematical
stuff. The OBR makes no distinctions and I don't have to undrstand it--I
just have to compare it to the braille original to make sure of an exact
match. The OBR as a scanning program has a 98 percent success rate on most
material.
Thank you for your patience in reading this.
Catherine