[muglo] Re: printer problem

  • From: Leith Peterson <leithriver@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:50:53 -0500

Hi Jim:

Glad to hear your printer is working again.

Just to clarify, I didn't say that printers shouldn't be plugged into
power bars.  I said I had heard about 11 years ago (don't know if
it's still true) that printers should not be plugged into unlimited
power supply (UPS) power bars because the UPS could interfere with
the printer's sleep function.

I did a bit of checking into printer sleep functions and it appears
to have something to do with energy saver requirements.  For
instance, my Canon printer wakes from sleep when I send a print job
to it.

UPS power bars supply power via battery when the power goes out.  I
have my CPU, etc., plugged into the UPS and have been grateful on
many occasions over the years when the power has gone out
unexpectedly and the battery has kicked in.

I have my printer plugged into a non-UPS power bar, the type that
protects against power surges, etc.

Perhaps there was a power surge into your power bar and the printer
shut down as a precautionary measure, but now has reset itself.
However, this is just speculation on my part.  I would check with the
manufacturer of your printer to find out what they recommend re power
bars or no power bars.

Leith