[muglo] portable applications

  • From: Gordon B Nickerson <gnickers@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:41:32 -0500

For some time i have been using a portable environment - programs and data
reside on my USB stick and when i have to go to a windows machine i at least
have the programs i want (firefox, gimp, open office etc) with the preferences
i prefer and the data i use. I use a fast 8 gig stick for small stuff and a
80gig portable device for large jobs like web/database work.

The programs all run without being installed.

The portable apps environment I have been using in class is only for windows
but the FreeSMUG (the free software mac users group) page now has a portable
apps environment and downloads for osx.

The page is at: http://www.freesmug.org/portableapps

I'll try this out and see how it compares.