[muglo] mailing list alternatives

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 17:09:23 -0500

On 21-Feb-09, at 4:25 PM, Wayne Dobson wrote:

> Would it be a good idea to link the google
> and the proboards sites in the Freewebs site so members can kick the
> tires?

Alternately, members of the list do - at least now - know of the links
and choices at Google and Proboards. Some of us tried Yuku too. To put
links up off the Freeweb site would allow non-members to see those
sites, and really they aren't a true reflection of what's going on at
Muglo.

Previous discussions about the alternatives got slightly more warm
than was useful. Nothing was decided against. It was thought that it
was best just to give the discussion a rest, and try the things out a
bit more. People wanted the ability to post images in messages, for
instance, or to easily put up pictures

The Forum model allows a more Special Interest Group structure, but no
offline, or mailing list access.

The Google groups can't do forums, but has a mailing list structure
users can access through email.

Freelists - our present listserv, once allowed sites such as Google to
be subscribed to the list, so that messages sent to Muglo at freelists
showed up on the Google Muglo mailing list. Images and attachments
can't presently be sent through freelists.

Another alternative to a mailing list is a RSS feed. You can view
messages in a 'headline-with-some-text' format in an app that does RSS
feeds. Safari and Mail do this. You need to be online to access the
full message through the RSS link.

Freewebs has ads on non-paying user sites. These are a nuisance. Some
of us would like to get rid of them. This requires paying to upgrade
our member status at freewebs, or moving to another host, or consider
abandoning the website presence at all.

Muglo does have a domain name.

Drupal seems to be a web development environment. They provide a list
of Drupal friendly hosts. Our site is no more than an interactive
brochure - easily handled with javascript already. Where does our
membership actually come from?