[muglo] Re: iPod and iPhone chargers for $3.15 each

  • From: Gerhard Kuhn <gerhardk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 18:14:23 -0500

The difference between the compatible and non-compatible devices is
USB and Firewire.  The iPhones are not able to connect to the firewire
devices the iPods still are.  The Firewire voltage is 12v which is why
it is popular with in car charge devices because there is no need for
changing the voltage, the power in a USB device is 5v.
I am not one to always buy the most expensive choice but in this case
you may get what you pay for and not have the correct voltage at the
end of the USB connector in the bargain version.  Would this damage
the iPhone?  I don't know but I would let you test if it affects the
life of the iPhone or reduces the life expectancy of the battery.

Gerhard
gerhardk@xxxxxxx