[muglo] Undeleting files in OS X

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:44:37 -0400

Here's a blurby from Micromat makers of Tech Tool Pro:

"Can I use TechTool Pro 4 to recover files I accidentally deleted?

Chances of recovering deleted files in Mac OS X are slim. TechTool
Pro 4's data recovery routines were designed to try to recover files
from corrupted drives that don't mount on the desktop. If TechTool
Pro 4 was installed prior to the deletion, you had it configured to
save Protection files for the volume, and one was saved just prior to
the deletion, then the data recovery routines *may* be able to
recover a deleted file assuming no portion of it has already been
overwritten. The larger the file and the longer since deletion, the
smaller the chance of recovery. Mac OS X writes regularly to the disk
in the background and often overwrites deleted data. If Protection
was not configured properly prior to a file deletion, then TechTool
Pro 4 will probably not be able to help recover the file."

I think Thersa may be out of luck.

Martin