[muglo] Re: Symantec Virus alert ?

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:29:26 -0500

> Ilbert Walker wrote:
>

>>I received this today fro  Symantec
>>What is W32.Novarg.A@mm and how does it affect me?
>>
>>W32.Novarg.A@mm is an encrypted mass-mailing worm that arrives as an
>>attachment, with either a .exe, .scr, .zip, or .pif extension.

> Tee Cashmore wrote:
> It's just another reason (justification) for using Macs, it won't affect
> you as long as you don't download the listed file type, of which 3 are
> IBM (Windows) type anyway.
> TTFN,
> TeeC

I take it you mean only the .exe, .scr and .pif extension.  Keep
in mind that the following three types may be contained in the
.zip and pose the same problem.

The Mac can open .zip files with the correct utility application
however after that if the files are the above 3 file type not
much happens.  You can however pass on a .zip file to a PC user
and wreak havoc on their system if they are not carefull about
openning it.

Martin