[muglo] State of Maine Awards 36,000-Laptop Contract to Apple

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:05:53 -0500

"The state of Maine has announced that Apple won the bid for its next
Maine Learning Technology Initiative (MLTI), which will supply more
than 36,000 laptops to all seventh and eighth grade students, as well
as teachers, librarians, principals and technology coordinators, at
over 240 middle schools. The roll-out will start this summer with
staff members and move to students at the start of the 2006-2007
school year.

The four-year agreement calls for Apple to supply 12-inch 1.33GHz G4
iBooks with the standard complement of software, summer 2006 training
for staff, POP e-mail accounts for all users, technical support, and
the StudyWiz environment for collaboration. Additional software
includes World Book Encyclopedia, NoteTaker, NeoOffice, GIMP and GIMP
GIS, and more, and the schools will be able to upgrade to Mac OS X
v10.5 "Leopard" when it becomes available."

I'm really curious as to what this GIMP GIS thing is. I have ArcView
GIS & am learning it inside and out but if there's a GIMP-based GIS
out there I wouldn't mind playing with it (can't find anything on
"gimp gis" out there... only app of note is GRASS).

Eric.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/