[muglo] Re: Relocating Users in OS X

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 22:40:04 -0400

>From: Martin Albinger
>Subject: [muglo] Relocating Users in OS X
>Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:58:01 -0400
>
>With 2 kids in Uni both with new laptops I have inherited a 15" iMac
>(lamp model) and re-acquired my old Cube.  What is the best process for
>moving existing accounts from an AGP Sawtooth running 10.4 to the other
>2 machines running 10.3.9?  The Sawtooth came with it's original 10 gig
>drive with Tiger on it but no original discs.  I have original discs
>for Panther.
>
>I am thinking of creating a new admin account on each for the 2
>accounts I would like to move and then deleting any existing user
>accounts.  I would also like to change passwords and computer names.
>Thoughts anyone?

>The iMac represents a giant leap in speed for this family.  Of course
>the 2 uni kids just chuckle at the slowness now but hey I'm happy with
>my 233 G3 with accelerator (G4 400) running Xpostfacto & 10.3.9 quite
>nicely.  This leads me to another question - which one should I move my
>stuff to, since I am unlikely to get the iMac :( (I find the screen too
>small any ways since I'm on a 20" CRT :) ) the Sawtooth or the Cube?  I
>would be willing to move drives around as well.

First off, you don't want to move from a 10.4 machine to a 10.3 machine!!!
Settings are going to get corrupted and it'll create more headaches than the
time "savings" are worth!

Secondly, WHY do you want to MOVE the accounts? Is this to save on the
process of configuring settings and moving files? Unless you have
particularly complex setups I would advise AGAINST doing that. Start FRESH
with a "new" computer.

What this means is that you should re-install OS X onto the new machines --
back-up any data you want to keep and re-install OS X (whether it be 10.3 or
10.4). Make sure that you have the installation media and serial numbers for
your applications on-hand.

Then, configure the computer(s) for internet and connect to the internet.
Update them to the latest OS version (10.3.9 for 10.3 and 10.4.7 for 10.4)
using the software update control panel. AFTER you have done this, start
installing your favourite apps. And, install FireFox (2.0 beta). It's
amazing how stable it's become -- it now is starting to look and behave like
a true Mac application (rather than a Windows port).

Update these applications to their latest versions.

Afterwards, create the user accounts that you want to make available and
LOCK THEM DOWN. This'll prevent your users from accidentally modifying the
system.

As for which machine to use -- the Cube or G4 tower? Which one's faster?
Which one has more RAM? Which one has more disk space? Which one has more
reliable hardware? Which one has a DVD burner (neither?*)?

*If one of the optical drives is flaking out (i.e. occasionally refuses to
recognise a CD, particularly burnt CD-RWs), replace it. Internal DVD burners
that are 100% Mac compatible are only $50 nowadays.

Post Script (really, this is a post-script ;-):

If you do want to move accounts from one computer to another, it is
possible. When a computer is newly set up it's possible to transfer an
account from an old computer to a new one with a utility. I don't know what
the utility is but it's provided by Apple and it's apparently really easy to
use (I'm just a firm believer in the "clean slate" method of configuring a
new computer so I've never bothered to learn how to use it or paid attention
to it)

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/