[muglo] Phishing

  • From: Barry Takayesu <barryt99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2011 23:46:39 -0400

For those who are unaware of Phishing, this example is one that I got today.

facebook <http://www.facebook.com/>*Facebook* sent you a notificationYou
have 2 lost messages on Facebook, to recover a messages please follow the
link below:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?recover.messages=8d69e763b2<http://acsoftbiz2.net/scalloped.html>
How to get back your lost messages on
Facebook<http://acsoftbiz2.net/scalloped.html>
----------------------

I then went to Google and keyed in: "lost messages on facebook" which
brought up this site:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/you-have-1-lost-message-on-facebook-e-mail-scam/3146

Here is another example:

Good afternoon.
Your parcel has arrived at the post office on September 18.
Our Driver was unable to deliver the parcel to your address.
To receive the parcel you should go to the nearest Canada Post office and
show your postal label. Postal label is attached to this letter. The email
address is postal@xxxxxxxxxx
You need to print label, and show it in Canada Post office to receive the
parcel.

Thank you for your attention.

A sage comment from another member of my printers' forum:

Been getting them for years, from Fed Ex and UPS as well.
A lot of what can keep you out of trouble with virus, malware and trojans is
using your brain on what not to open. Software protection will only go so
far.
The bad guys are getting pretty creative these days but you know that the
Post Office, or Rev Canada or Citibank will never send you an email for a
problem.
You would get a letter in the mail or a phone call.

Trust your instincts.

Unfortunately, sites like eCards which provided a quick and cute way of
sending greetings and pokes have been usurped by scammers who have hijacked
the concept and turned it into a phishing campaign of their own, making it
unsafe for us to ever open them.

Have any of you received other examples of phishing? Hopefully, everyone can
spot the Nigerian scammers
Barry Takayesu                   Prestige Print & Graphics
(519) 631-8800                   10592 Wellington Rd
barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      St.Thomas, ON N5P 3T1