[muglo] Mystery Problems

  • From: Bob McDaniel <rmcdaniel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Muglo <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:20:08 -0400

A cousin of mine has a new Mac Mini with a 24" LED Monitor and Mac OS
10.5.?. His peripherals include an HP printer, scanner, Lacie external
drive and Time Capsule.

He is experiencing 2 strange problems:

(1) He is trying to select his Macintosh HD in order to bring up the
Get Info window to check the space available on the internal drive.
Everytime he clicks on it an icon pops up with a name such as
"scan277.jpg" (the number will vary) and covers the Macintosh HD icon.
When he attempts to drag it off the Mac HD icon, it simply flies back,
as though on an elastic band. When he attempts to put it in the trash,
it will go but he gets a warning message that this is a system file and
cannot be trashed. He has restarted the computer and, initially, the
icon has disappeared but as soon as he clicks on Mac HD, up it comes
(with a different number!). He has also tried repairing disk
permissions with Disk Utility.

Let me hasten to say that I have not personally witnessed all this. I
am trying to accurately report what he has told me!

(2) He has managed to click on the strange icon and bring up its "Get
Info" window. According to "Get Info" its default application is
Preview. When he double-clicks the icon it does not open at all, but
rather again a message reports that it is a system file and in use (or
some such),  I suggested that he open Preview and try to open the file,
say "scan277.jpg",  from within that app. After clicking on "Open" in
Preview, the Open dialogue box appears and he clicks on "Desktop" in
order to display the files stored there. Now there are only two icons
on his Desktop, the Macintosh HD and the strange jpg file, But in the
Øpen window, there are hundreds (or so it seems) of files listed, but
not the one he's looking for. And, if that is not strange enough, he
recognizes some names as files that he trashed (or so he thought) a
couple of days ago.

There you have it.  Any ideas on what is going on here?  I can find
nothing close by Googling, but then it's damned difficult to briefly
come up with appropriate keywords. I suspect that he may have to resort
to taking it back to Mostly Digital where he bought it.

Bob