[muglo] Re: Look,my beautiful girl friend

  • From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:23:16 -0500

Hi Everybody !
With reference to the below message re Virus - my own email to friends
may be of interest

A Happy (Virus free) New Year to you All!

Ilbert Walker

> In the last 24 hours I've received a Virus Alert email from ,
> purportedly,  Microsoft urging I install the patch attached!!
>
> This is obviously false since I don't use MS products, and the grammar
> of the message is appalling (There are dangerous virus in the Internet
> now!  )  Of course, this could just confirm that all the nerds at MS
> are illiterate !!  :-)
>
> Have you also received this ?
>
> I deleted mine immediately - and suggest you do likewise!
>
> Under NO circumstances attempt to open the attachment!
>
> Ilbert

As a follow up to the above message, I received a number of replies
from friends who have been receiving similar messages for some time ,
partic Windows users.

Apparently it was either a real virus included with the attachment, or
as one person discovered upon opening , just a scam to elicit $20 in
order to download the patch!    Microsoft never send such messages by
email - and don't charge for patches. The sender's address of
@microsoft.com is obvious a fake.   Good advice is to check MS website
to check the virus patch's legitimacy.

But it served as a reminder to me to make regularly backups in case of
infection resulting in a crash.
  (Even Macs aren't foolproof!)  :-)

And a final thought?   from WWW Walker's Wit & Wisdom

"The wisest of the wise may err."      - Aeschylus

Please don't bother to reply unless you'd prefer to be unsubscribed
from this list    :-)