[muglo] Re: DVD Recorders [OT]

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:10:27 -0500

On 3/12/06, Paul Thomas <paul_thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am considering purchasing a reasonably priced DVD Recorder/Player but
> have a number of questions which I am sure someone can help!
>
> 1.  Currently I have the Cable connected to a Digital Box which then
> feeds into a VCR and thence into the TV, which works fine for my needs.
>       Can I simply insert a DVD unit in between the VCR and TV in order
> to play VCR Tapes or DVDs in addition to using the TV (as at the
> moment)?

You could, but you risk degrading the signal quality.

Are you using composite (RCA) [or some other higher quality]
connections between each device or is the VCR connected to the TV with
coaxial cable? DVD players do _not_ like being connected to TVs via
coaxial cable (the copy protection scheme on copy-protected discs
degrades the signal).

>      With this set up can I copy my VCR Tapes onto DVD discs?  Can I
> also make DVD copies of commercial tapes - I suspect the answer here is
> NO?

Yes, you can copy definitely copy VHS/BetaMax tapes to DVD discs, and
you can _probably_ make DVD discs of your [old] commerical VHS/BetaMax
tapes. I don't think the copy protection on old commercial tapes was
particularly effective as functioning as copy protection (it wasn't
like you could make a perfect copy of a perfect copy of a tape...
after one copy the quality rapidly degraded... unlike DVDs[1]).

[1] I think DVDs will very rapidly be replaced. They are profoundly
flawed devices for what they're doing, and, I don't think they are
"fixable" to prevent people from copying DVD movies.

> 2.  I have been looking at DVD Recorder/Player units and some of them
> mention that they will  record on DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and
> play DVD/CD, VCD/CD, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD audio, or variations of this,
> some being more restricted or not specified.  How important are these
> specifications?  Are all these varieties required?  If not, which ones
> are important?  And, if restricted, is this a limitation on the type of
> blank DVDs purchased?

I would go with a higher quality DVD recorder/player. I'm sure a few
Googles will provide you with the info you need on consumer ratings of
the DVD recorder/player.

As for the specs, you should try to get _as many as possible_.

Having only a few supported formats does limit your media choices. At
the very least you should have DVD-R support. It is the most widely
used and most widely compatible format and is the favoured format for
video. DVD+R is a late comer to the scene and isn't really used much
for video. You should also be able to record VCD/CD with the DVD
recorder.

Eric.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/