[leasbirds] Re: Possible Vermillion Flycatcher at Clapp Park

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 06:47:34 -0500

Greetings Jennifer:

I got some shots of a Great Crested Flycatcher at the park yesterday - in
the big willows at the northwest corner of the main playa. Wish I had seen
your bird. If you relocate it, please give me a call (806-252-1213) and I
will swing by to look for it.

Anthony

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 9:28 PM, Jennifer Miller <foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi all,

We were at Clapp Park/Arboretum from about 7:15pm to almost dark. Of note,
we saw a few Wilson's Warblers and 2 different flycatcher species. One had
the raised crest and was 'thin appearing', but I did not see well enough to
ID. The other I called a Say's Phoebe, but now that I have had a chance to
look in my book, I think it may have been a juvenile Vermillion Flycatcher.
It did bother me at the time that it appeared small for a Say's Phoebe.
Overall, it appeared small and chubby to me. It perched at the end of dead
branches and did the flycatcher thing (performing acrobatics and returning
to the same tree). I did not see it wag its tail when perched, but it did
fan it out when flying. It had a grayish head and back, white throat and
chest with fine brown streaking on the chest. Its underbelly was a
beautiful rosy orange (but Jim says rosy yellow), very similar to a Say's
Phoebe. It had a short to medium tail that was dark or black on top. It's
wings were darker than its back with fine/faint streaking and a wing bar.
The only thing I did not notice was the white above the eye that a juvenile
Vermillion Flycatcher should have and I really don't think it had any white
on its face. It was in the dead tree by the 'sitting area' (white stones)
on the Arboretum side. This is also where I saw the Wilson's Warblers. I am
going to try to go back tomorrow in better light, but if anyone else swings
by there I would appreciate knowing if you see it. I am going to hold off
submitting my ebird list until myself or someone else gets another look at
it. Thanks!

Jennifer

Jennifer Miller
Lubbock, TX