[leasbirds] Re: Clapp Park Highlights - this morning

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:43:54 -0500

The lower bushes near the liveoaks at the south end of the park -
shrubhenge.

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Jennifer Miller <foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Anthony,

Good finds! Where in the park did you find the MacGillivray's? I'd like to
go look for it today.

Thanks!
Jennifer

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Greetings All:

I spent two hours at Clapp Park this morning. Recent rains have brought
the playas up, greened the foliage up a bit more, and there is a goodly
assortment of waterfowl and regular October migrants on the premises.

Highlights amongst the list of 46 birds were: 3 American Wigeons, 3
Blue-winged Teals, 4 Green-winged Teals, 1 flyover Double-crested
Cormorant, 1 Green Heron, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron, 1 Cooper's Hawk, 1
adult Red-shouldered Hawk in the trees along the berm, 1 Swainson's Hawk
and 1 immature Broad-winged Hawk in with a kettle of 31 Turkey Vultures, 1
immature Black-chinned Hummingbird, 1 Marsh Wren, 1 Carolina Wren, 1 Hermit
Thrush, 2 Gray Catbirds, 1 Brown Thrasher, 9 Orange-crowned Warblers,1
MacGillivray's Warbler, 2 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 1 Wilson's Warbler, 1
Cassin's Sparrow, 3 Chipping Sparrows, 2 Clay-colored Sparrows, 1 Song
Sparrow, and 3 Lincoln's Sparrows.

Of these, the Carolina Wren was new for my 2015 list at Clapp Park,
bringing me up to 173 species of bird at the site this year.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock

--
Jennifer Miller
Lubbock, TX