[leasbirds] Add an early White-throated Sparrow to Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 12:19:13 -0500

Greetings All:

I spent two hours at Clapp Park this morning. The biggest surprises: 1 Fox
Sparrow in the shrubs at Shrubhenge; 1 first fall White-throated Sparrow
near the butterfly gardens. Both birds were also seen by Alan Livingston.

Other highlights: 3 American Wigeons, 1 Blue-winged Teal, 7 Northern
Shovelers, 3 Green-winged Teals, 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron, 1 Eastern
Phoebe, 2 Hermit Thrushes, 9 Orange-crowned Warblers, 3 Nashville Warblers,
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 1 Wilson's Warbler, 3 Spotted Towhees, 2
White-crowned Sparrows, and 3 American Goldfinches.

Yes, the White-throated Sparrow was new for my 2015 site list, bringing me
up to 175 species at Clapp Park this year. I still think the initially
hoped for 200 species is out of reach - due a poor spring AND a poor fall
songbird migration - but I might make it to 185 or so.

I will be going back for two hours this evening - in hopes of catching the
evening movement of American Crows.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock