[leasbirds] A slow day on the Canyon Lakes of Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2015 14:53:50 -0500

Greetings All:

After the slow day at Clapp Park yesterday, I didn't expect much along the
Canyon Lakes this morning. I spent the bulk of the morning there and,
looking back, it is good that my expectations were low.

I met up with Ross Rickett (RR) and we birded MacKenzie Park and the lower
reaches of the Purina Mountain Bike Trail together.

MacKenzie Park kicked out 1 Yellow-crowned Night Heron (AH), 3 Chipping
Sparrows (RR), 1 adult female/1 adult male/1 immature Painted Bunting
(both), and 1 Dickcissel (AH).

The Purina Mountain Bike Trail kicked out 1 Least Flycatcher (both), 1
Black-and-white Warbler (AH), 1 MacGillivray's Warbler (both), 2 Yellow
Warblers (both), and 1 immature Painted Bunting (both).

I birded Lake Six on my own for close to two hours and it was slow. The
only highlights: 6 Cackling Geese, 3 Canada Geese, 1 Snowy Egret, 1
Wilson's Warbler, and 1 Chipping Sparrow.

I birded the riparian corridor below Lake Six for close to an hour and it
was slower! The highlights: 1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo and 1 Yellow Warbler.

On a positive note - and I hope Ross is reading this - I did see two
Monarchs below Lake Six and got pictures of both!

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock