[GeoStL] Re: geocaching Digest V2 #237

  • From: McEowen@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:20:49 EDT

-

In a message dated 8/29/03 2:24:39 AM, ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Nancy, I'm not sure if I can help--I just started working with the Mo
Dept of Conservation.  From what the folks in the Central Missouri
region (columbia office) tell me, I have to contact each land manager
for each specific conservation area.  Their website (
www.conservation.state.mo.us ) shows the regions broken down into
counties so it should be easy to figure out with region oversees which
county.  I simply call the regional office and ask them for the contact
info for each land manager and then call them (sometimes a very hard
thing to find them in their office!!).  They require you to fill out a
'Special Use Permit' and grant them on a case by case basis.  So far I
have one permit, but haven't placed the cache yet.  I have a few other
permits in the works.  (red tape)
 From what I could tell, they all seem to be aware of Geocaching and are
helpful, yet you can tell they are a little reserved about it.  They
like getting people to their areas, but geocaching doesn't really fit
within their stated 'mission'. >>

Perhaps things have gotten stricter in the mid-Missouri area. When I placed
my Rural Missouri cache at Painted Rock Conservation Area I played phone tag
until I got the area supervisor at the Columbia Conservation office. He granted
me permission over the phone -- with the stipulation that I couldn't place it
anywhere that would put people in danger. Sorry, I don't remember his name.

Subject field