[GeoStL] garmin voices

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SLAGA <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 07:53:21 -0600

-
I ran across this page earlier today while researching something else.
Something to think about ...

http://tinyurl.com/y8st5pu

Garmin Voice Studio Lets You Create Custom Voices for Your GPS Device

Windows only: If you've ever thought, "That GPS lady is bossy," or "I wish my
Garmin talked like a pirate," Voice Studio is the answer. With just a
microphone, it lets you record and upload custom voices to your Garmin GPS.

The process itself is quite easy, if not a little repetitive-but it's a small
price to pay to have your friend or loved one guide you through the windy roads
of America (or wherever you're from). The software leads you through the
process of recording a list of words and phrases that your Garmin uses to form
directions, and then downloading it to your GPS unit (you can see a list of
which devices are compatible here).

Garmin estimates the process will take 30 minutes, which may seem long for the
simple task of saying 65 words, but if you want it to sound as natural as
possible, I would suggest taking your time to test and trim each recording.
Sadly, my Garmin is not one of the supported devices, so if yours is, try it
out and let us know how it worked in the comments!

Garmin Voice Studio is a free download, Windows only.

Glenn

from this