[GeoStL] What a difference

  • From: GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GC-maillist <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:57:56 -0600

it makes working with a department that realizes that the parks are meant for
public recreation.

About a year ago I talked with David White, director of parks for Kirkwood. He
knew about "High Ridge" cache at Emmenegger park and followed the logs that
were left by the cachers.

At the time they were going to acquire the old Meramec Highlands Quarry and
convert it into a park. He said they would welcome a cache there once the park
was finished (trash removed, old house torn down, etc.).  It was supposed to be
done in Feb 2002. then it was Spring, August, late fall, and now it's almost
done. The park is "semi" open, no signs, restrooms, or anything yet. I called
and talked to Jim, I think, at Kirkwood yesterday to see if it was OK to walk
thru the park and place a cache. He said sure.

Today I take my Tupperware and as I'm walking towards one of the actual park
trails, one of the three workers says "Here he comes with his cache to hide". I
asked him if he was the one I had talked to yesterday, and he said "no, Jim had
told them that I would be placing a cache out there".  We talked a little about
the area and what they still plan to do out there. Then he told me about an
ideal hiding spot that would fit the theme of the old quarry. I didn't find it
so I'm going back now and look some more.

It's nice to talk to people like this that have an interest in what we're
trying to do.

Looks for a new cache tonight or tomorrow!

Rich