[GeoStL] Texas trip over and...

  • From: Jeff the Blue Bead Man <bluebeadman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:39:36 -0400 (EDT)

-
All I can say is WHEW!  Texas is hot right now--the Spurs are winning (well,
usually) and the temperature is hitting 100+.  It was hot!  They have several
unique, i.e. creative, caches, but St. Louis has them beat for quality.  I
don't believe I have ever found (nor would I want to!) a Firestone parking lot
cache, or a cache at the little green landscaping "park" next to the grocery
store parking lot.  San Antonio had MORE of those type caches than I care to
find.  One was called Howard Butts Park cache.  Turns out that Howard Butts is
Howard E. Butts and he owns or started the HEB grocery stores.  Very
funny...the first time...but do you need TONS of them?  NO...

The best thing about San Antonio caching was how easy it was to separate the
junk (Howard Butts Park, Grocer's Re-leaf, etc) from the truly outstanding
caches (I'm not quite paperless, 13 Days in 30 Minutes, Sauerkraut Bend).  It
was extremely easy to do because they have created and maintain a "Best of"
list.  They nominate caches for the lists in separate different types of
categories and then they vote on the best each year.  I worked off of the "Best
Of...2004" list, and I found some nifty caches.  Here is a link to that list:
http://home.netcom.com/~msbhavin/saga/index.html .  I think we need something
like this for St. Louis.  It could be part of the SLAGA website.  One of the
categories should be "Caches which a visiting cacher MUST hit before leaving
town..." type category.  WHat do you think?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

-Jeff, the Blue Bead Man
Subject field