[GeoStL] Re: Terracaching

  • From: Michael Rogers <mrogers07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 19:08:51 -0700 (PDT)

Ah...Terracaching...a different version of the game. Doing a quick search on
the Geocaching forums will yield you a lot of discussion about it.

I am not a big proponent of it because of the ever-present implied superiority
of "their" caches and cachers over Geocaching.com's...among other reasons.

There's also not very many to find...at least in my area...and I have found a
couple already. There are *12* total (regular, virtual, etc.) caches in a
100-mile radius of me.

Here's the latest thread discussing it:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=191873

Instead of typing out all of my points again, I will just reproduce what I said
there....

"The only thing I hate in the whole terracaching/geocaching debate is that
terracaching proponents constantly espouse the whole idea that their caches are
of a better quality than those found on GC.com.

The quality of the hide resides in the cache placer. No matter how caches may
be voted upon, average caches still reside.

To me, quality caches use a unique container, a good location or both. Most of
my finds have met some or all of those requirements.

I do realize everyone's mileage might vary in this regard, but to say that one
site's caches are consistently better than others is hogwash. I have done
caches on the terracaching site and they were similar to geocaches that were
placed in the area. Many are actually piggybacked with geocaches...in some
cases merely feet away. So where's the "quality" in them?

The whole method to their madness is something I do not prefer at all...it's
bad when a cache you might have worked very hard on to be great could get voted
to be and eventually archived just because (and it's entirely feasible) people
might not like you well. It can be voted on by those that found it and those
that have never found it. Some might call it democratic...I call it dangerous.

Some might say a long hike makes a cache a higher quality. I don't think so.
One of the best caches I have ever done requires a 100-150 yard walk to one of
the best views in my area. It's breathtaking. Is the view there somehow
diminished because I didn't hike five miles to get to it?

I think a big draw is that some caches that are no longer allowed here are
allowed there, like the locationless and the virtual caches. I love virtual
caches but that's not enough of a draw for me.

So...I'll grant the terracaching website is another place to find caches, but
it's in no way better than what we have here."