[GeoStL] Scout Quest 100

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 11:10:05 -0500

-
Still looking for help for this huge event! Please see the details below and
fill out the form at -
http://tinyurl.com/32fq4w6 - Please sign up or if you have some cache
containers I can borrow, please let me know!!

We are number 45 on this map.. http://www.scoutquest100.org/SQ100Map/

Saturday, May 29th - Meet in front of the MUNY at 7:00 PM (N38 38.464 W090
16.854) We will split up into teams and lay out night Geocaching trails that
will lead them from the History Museum, Planetarium/Science Center and the
Zoo back to the SLAGA tent located at (N38 38.345 W090 16.862).

Thursday, June 3rd - Working on the details but, we hope to meet at where we
are going to place the SLAGA tent, I will bring a 10x20, and lay out a few
Geocaching courses with PVC pipe in the ground plus a few different types of
geocaches such as micro, regular, clever hides, etc.. I will most likely be
out there all day Thursday setting up the courses.

Friday June 4th - 11:00 AM - I will be out there setting up the SLAGA tent
and wrapping tarps around it. We will prepare for the night course Scouts to
come and find us after dark. We will need 2 people at the start of each
course, you can bring your chairs, to explain how it works. We should be in
place on Friday night by 8:15 PM or as close to sunset as possible. I will
have signs printed for the start of each course with the times on them.
Sunset is at 8:21. If it is cloudy or overcast it will get dark quicker. As
the scouts make their way back to the tent, we should have something to give
them. Perhaps a rubber bracelet or something small and inexpensive.

Saturday June 5th -  7:00 am - 6:00 pm - Preparing for the day's activities
starts at 7:00 am. The program areas open at 8:00 am and we will have plenty
of scouts wanting to Geocache. We should have the location of all public
geocaches in the park up on a board for them to enter in their GPS. I will
have a laptop with GSAK so we can DL to common ones. The Scouts will go out
and try and find small PVC stakes in the ground with letters on them, they
will write they down and then try and unscramble the letters to form a
scouting phrase. We will also have a 5 - 10 temp geocaches that they can
find in the area which will show them the different sizes, Nano, Micro,
Small, Ammo, Large. We will have 5 courses set up so I need 4 nanos and a
few ammo cans. I have everything else. We will have the projector and screen
in the tent for Scoutmasters and Parents to watch a looping presentation
about Geocaching. I will have this completed this weekend. I will need the
SLAGA projector and screen. No sound is needed.

 Sunday June 6th - 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM - Same as Saturday. SLAGA will need
literature, GPS units and lots of friendly people. We will tear down around
1:30 on Sunday.

Any questions, please feel free to ask. Recruit whoever you can for this
large event.

Have Fun and Thanks!!!

from this