[GeoStL] Ride Report - 2005 Twist 'n' Shout Rally - Part 1 of 3

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SLAGA <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 09:16:43 -0500

-
Too bad we couldnt have gotten over to Az. Looks like they had a good time. See y'all in Michigan tho...

gln

2005 Twist 'n' Shout Rally

By John Parker

 This was my first time in this event by the Fastour Riders Group of
Arizona. It is the 2nd annual running of this event. Organizer Doug
Banfelder did very well for such a new rallymaster. The event was very
laid back and didn't have the strict rules of the more established
rallies like the Utah 1088. This may change with experience, as I can
see that the "true" competitors will probably use their easy manner to
exploit the rules to their advantage. Too bad, because it is a
refreshing change to ride in such a low key event as this. That's just
the nature of the endurance rally scene, unfortunately.

 The host hotel and HQ for this year's rally was the Grand Canyon
Travelodge in Flagstaff, AZ. There was a very small turnout for a
western rally. This year, there were only 20 entrants, but all were
very enthusiastic. I hope that Doug and Fastour Riders can make this an
annual event. I arrived early at about 1330 on Friday. There were 3 or
4 other riders there already, but others started arriving in ones and
twos. Most license plates were Arizona, but I did see a couple of
Colorado, a California, and one Illinois. And, of course my Oregon
plate on Blue Thunder, Becci's 94 ST1100. Most were the usual grizzled
LD lot, but there were a few young'uns thrown in to keep us oldsters
honest. The only rider I recognized from other events was George
Zelendez. George is in his 2nd year of competition, and this only his
4th endurance rally. He is very competitive and the "Big Dogs" will
soon have to take notice of him. Doug showed up late, but quickly made
everyone feel welcome at the pre rally dinner in the diner adjacent to
the motel.

 After a tasty meal of fish 'n' chips, the riders were invited to check
out the available rides highlighted on maps in the restaurant lounge.
As advertised, there were three 1000 mile routes and one 1500 miler, the
"BBG", laid out. The 1000 milers were named "Colorado", "Utah", and
"Arizona/New Mexico" to reflect the Four Corners theme of this year's
rally. I glanced at all of the routes and made mental notes of their
approximate courses, but the Big Dog ride, the "BBG" was the one I was
enamored with. From Doug's prior emails, I knew there would be a BBG
1500 in this year's ride; therefore I was looking forward to it. After
doing a BBG 1500, 1000 miles events just seem too mild ;-} All of the
routes stayed on the same roads for the first several hundred miles then
took off in their own directions to their namesake states. The last
common bonus to all of the routes was, quite appropriately, the Four
Corners Monument. After a while Doug and his crew gathered us all on
the grass near the pool for a riders' meeting. The meeting set the tone
for the weekend and the event in general with its low key and laid back
demeanor. The bonii for each route were handed out and the usual
warnings and safety talk were given. Doug and Bill gave us a brief
overview of some of the roads and a few of their individual hazards that
they observed when pre running them a few weeks ago. Doug then opened
the discussion up for questions and got the usual barrage with regard to
discrepancies and omissions in the rally packs. As usual the "Soap Box
Derby" crowd jumped on the opportunities that the loose rules allowed by
omission. George Z managed to get the Rallymaster to agree to allow
scoring bonii from other routes and got a variance from him on the "Four
Corners" bonus to allow for riders to bag it after hours. If this was
the Utah 1088, young Georgie would have been holding a rock for asking
that question. Unusual for endurance rallies, but understandable for a
new event, the bonii were written very loosely. That is to say that
they were simply descriptions of various places and the evidence needed
the bag them, but without the lengthy qualifications usually found in
the bonii descriptions of "established" endurance rallies like the Utah
1088, Cal24, Northwest Passage, White Stag, or the Iron Butt Rally, to
name a few. It is the norm in these events for the Rallybastard to go
to great lengths to describe a bonus and the qualifications that must be
met to bag that bonus. For example, there are often certain times of
day and/or dates that a bonus may be bagged by a rider. Also, there are
many times a statement is included as to which bonii may be bagged by
riders on different routes. Not to mention that there were none of the
threads, or combination bonii that make route selection by the
competitors so "interesting" in other rallies. Well, it is refreshing
to ride an event like this, and I am glad Doug did it like this
(intentionally or not). I believe Doug's co-host, Bill, stated their
philosophy best when he said that they wanted a "riding rally, not a
reading comprehension test." A bold goal in this day and age. When
asked who was doing the BBG, only one rider raised his hand. I quietly
withheld my commitment as a pre-race ... err rally poker strategy. Even
though I knew that I would ride the BBG regardless of who else would. I
liked the challenge that I believed it would provide me with its mostly
two lane roads and many miles of mountain twisties.

 After the riders' meeting I hustled back to my room and began my
pre-rally procedure. I first entered all of the mandatory bonii into
Mapsource to get a preliminary route. Then I entered the location of
all of the optional bonii as waypoints. I then looked at the three 1000
mile routes for possible extra bonii that were near enough to the BBG
route to be doable. I knew from prior experience that, with the pace
necessary to complete a BBG 1500, I wouldn't have the time to stray far
from the main route. I found one bonus on the "Colorado" route that was
very close to a bonus on the BBG and entered it as a waypoint also. I
then let Mapsource calculate the route and uploaded it and the waypoints
into my Garmin Streetpilot GPS. I had previously loaded all of the
relevant maps onto the Street Pilot's data card. I then printed a color
map of the route on my HP 420 color printer/fax/copier for reference use
later if the GPS failed for some unexpected reason. It's good to have
contingency plans when so much time and effort is invested. I also
always carry a full set of paper maps for the same reason. So far, in
the 5 years I have been using GPS's for competitive rallies, they have
had a 100% reliability factor, but I still feel better with a "hard
copy" in this age of software and computers. Probably comes from being
a computer tech for 35 years.

 After a good 5 hours of blissful slumber I awoke on my own before the
Screemin' Meanie's plaintive cry, and loaded "Blue Thunder" for the next
24 hours of fun and adventure. I packed fairly light taking along a few
tools, first aid kit, electric heated gear, cool vest (the desert has
WIDE temperature extremes), and some "Zone" bars and "Turkey Jerky" for
sustenance. At 0600 sharp the BBG1500 riders were off into the dawn
looking for beautiful roads and high value bonii. The other BBG rider
and I would have a 1 hour headstart on the ss1000 riders.

 Traffic was light as we motored north out of town on old Route 66. The
first bonus possible was a big one of 25 points (the max available), for
a photo of the "Sunset Crater" sign at the Cinder Hills Overlook in
Sunset Crater National Monument. The other BBG rider and I arrived at
the same time and got our photos. He left before me on his Concors and
I never saw him again until the next morning. I bagged another 25
pointer at the nearby Wapatki N.M. then zoomed up hwy 89 north, blowing
off a 15 pointer at "Little Colorado River Gorge," because I felt I
needed to get my average speed (AVS) back up if I was to complete the
1500 miles in the 24 hours allotted for a BBG 1500 by the IBA. I got
one brief Ka Band radar hit on my V-One just after leaving Sunset
Crater. The AZ State Trooper was playing with "instant on," but didn't
have a chance against Mr. Valentine ... this time.

 My route turned east off of the 89 onto hwy 160. 160 is a magnificent
motorcycle road, and once out of the town of Tuba City, AZ, it is
perfect for getting the AVS up. There are plenty of curves and
elevation changes, but it has many loooooong stretches of open road with
excellent visibility. I've used this road on several other rallies and
rides to get across the Navajo Nation with very good results. It was
still cool on this morning with temps in the mid 50's. Wildflowers
covered the landscape on both sides of the road and filled in the
normally sandy tan desert palate with brilliant orange. The Navajo
National Monument just west of Kayenta was a 20 mile side trip, but
worth 25 points, so well worth it. Besides, as I found out once there,
it is a beautiful spot and one I would like to visit again when I have
more time to explore it fully. I did get my National Parks "Passport"
stamped though. The female ranger looked a little puzzled by this big
"white eyes" in the blue snowmobile suit and an m/c helmet that swooped
in and out of her visitor center like a Kochina. A few more miles east
on the 160 I visited the "Code Talkers Museum" in Kayenta (REALLY Uncle
Sam!! Don't the Code talkers deserve a REAL museum???). I also
collected the mandatory "Fuel receipt" before leaving this little pueblo.

 Hwy 160 turned a more northerly direction at Tec Nos Pos (famous for
their amazing Navajo woven rugs). Four Corners Monument came up on the
left soon after making the turn. This Monument is run by the Navaho
Nation, and it is the only place in the US where one can stand in 4
states (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah) at the same time. I
blew on past it and its 25 points with the plan to return later on my
way back to the finish line when it was closed. I'd been here several
times in the past and knew that sometimes the lines could be long and
the tourists frantic. A ruling was secured from the rallymaster by
George Z at yesterday's riders' meeting allowing us this option.

 The next bonus, worth 10 points, was 20 miles before Cortez, CO at
"Yucca House National Monument." Unfortunately, as we heard later after
the rally, Yucca House was torn down years ago, and the Federal
Government hadn't gotten around to building a monument yet. Oooops!
Gotcha Doug!!
 To be continued.....
 John Parker
SoCal & SoOregon