[GeoStL] ] Re: Newbie question...

  • From: "tklnhl" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:04:02 -0500

-
We just did a series of micros in Searcy, Arkanas -- some were in more
exciting places than others but all were very clever hides (think RGS) that
took us to places within their park system. It was more along the line of a
cleverly placed Scavenger Hunt.

The ones in the less-exciting places, such as the community center lawn,
were a bit easier to find, but still well engineered and geoflaged. Some
were nearer to playgrounds but not ON a playground; yet close enough that
our kyd could go play while we attempted a stealth search.

Each micro contained a clue for a final coordinate for an easier-to-find
ammo cache that was stocked with VERY good Swag.  (The best  "treasure"
we've ever found in the caches we've ever found). THAT was very good for my
6 yr old.  She was more willing to hunt SIX micros once we realized that the
cache at the end would have good stuff .  The younger the minicacher, the
less likely they'll be thrilled to do a multi in order to find a micro at
the end -- there's got to be swag lol.

Also, this could open  up the "it's not about the numbers" debate -- but
we'll admit it, we DO like the numbers, ours aren't as high as most around
here, but we do like the numbers.  If the hides are very clever and might
take more than one trip because they are "difficult" or the area is too
crowded, then we like to get credit for it :+).  Our power-cache trips are
few and far between, and even the 6 yr old asks at the end of a small run,
"how many did we find today?" so, if we had to find 6 very clever micros and
only got the credit for 1 cache, then we probably would not do it with an
opinionated minicacher in tow. But, you have a hardcore audience here who
definitely WOULD do any and all that are placed, but with minicachers it can
be a different story.  Also, if you are checking it with kids, then they
will be interested in what people have left and might want to trade out
themselves.

Nancy

> Bart Cross wrote:
> - I'm a newbie and am looking for ideas about where to place my first
cache.
> I have two small kids that I would like to take with me while checking on
> thecaches. I am trying to think of others that may be in my situation
where
> it would be nice to take a walk with the kids and hunt for caches at the
> sametime. With that in mind are others interested in multi-caches through
> urban/suburban areas. I was thinking of a winding tour of Kirkwood or
> something similar with a micro at the end. Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated. bartindesperes **************************************** Our

Subject field