[GeoStL] Re: OT-Snow sculptures

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 06:38:10 -0600

-
Rrich, I'm assuming you are talking about Ottowa, Ontario. That would be neat to visit. Bernie

GC-RGS wrote:

-
I was in Ottawa in February for a week in 1993 or 1994. Actual temp was -40
degrees. That's the temp. where Farenheit and Celcius are the same. They
have ice sculptures throughout the city and they last all winter because of
the cold. There is a 9 mile canal that runs through the city and dumps in
the Ottawa river in the downtown area (like River Des Peres flows into the
Mississipi). In the winter they put the city snowplows in the canal and
scrape the snow off and it's used as a long ice skating rink. They have
skate rental shops, hot chocolate and coffee shops set up on the ice. In the
mornings and evenings, most of those on the ice are workers in suits and
carrying briefcases on their way to or from work. It's really neat to see
the way they adapt to the cold and snow and it doesn't slow them down. On
the Ottawa river (about the size of the Mississippi downtown) it freeze
solid too and they plow areas and build small shacks and have bonfires on
the ice.

Rich

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernie" <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>