[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Karate

  • From: "Lazylightning" <lazylightning7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:22:52 -0600

-
Wow, this is great to hear.

We had a guy that goes to our church, (Vietnam vet) many degree black belt
start a class with our youth.  He is an amazing guy with an incredible
testimony.  He was POW for over a year and God shook his jail cell
(literally like Peter's) and he escaped.  The US troops found him wandering
around in a daze and saved him from most certain death.

I was volunteered by him to help teach but knew nothing about karate.  (I
work with youth in our Church's AWANA ministry.)  The class was half karate
and half strength building with exercises and a weight machine.
Unfortunately, the guy has cancer and has taken a turn for the worse.  He
had to stop teaching.  We had about 20 kids (and me) get through orange and
were working on green.  Many were not from church-going families.
Everything is now on hold unlikely to start again :o(.  He was great because
we didn't do the oriental philosophy thing, we were Christian based, prayed
before and after class, talked about Jesus' teachings, he was an instructor
not sensei(?), we had the class at church not a dojo(?).

My kids and I sure do miss it.  My 12 year old daughter really got a lot of
self confidence from the class.  She can knock me into a wall with her jump
kick and I'm no little guy.  My son really benefited from it in the area of
self control (he's really high energy).  If I might impose with a request,
please pray for Larry Reberry for healing and pray that the class would get
going again under him.  If not, could God send someone else.