[GeoStL] Re: More On Mr. Drey --- NGR

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:28:51 -0700 (PDT)

-
Jim,

Maybe it was not the Scenic Riverways ...it has been a long time ....at least
10 years or so ......but I read the entire bill and what it entailed ....I also
went to the town meetings where this city yokel dressed up in overalls to give
the impression he was from the country. The way the bill read was to allow
present landowners to retain possesion of their land until their death ....then
it was to be assimilated into the park system with no recourse to the legal
heirs of the owner. It established a corridor so many feet wide all the way up
and down the Big Piney River and took away not only valuable farm land but any
cabins sitting along the river. So the land that my FIL had bought almost 50
years ago would not be allowed to pass to his grandchildren but rather to some
agency for the "betterment" of the river. So I have no fond thought of the man
regardless of what he has done for the forests

Dan
Jim Bensman <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-
I am not sure what you are talking about as what you say is not possible.
National Scenic Riverways are designated by Congress, not voters.
Legislation authorizing them rarely allow the use of eminent dominant. The
Ozark National Scenic Riverways (Current and Jack's Fork) were one exception
and lots of people were upset about that.

If you are concerned about land being "stolen" like that (the Constitution
provides for it, but requires just compensation), you should focus on roads
as that is the primarily use of eminent domain. Think of all the "stolen"
land you drive over. :) In Edwardsville, there recently was a big fight over
condemning land for a road. The owners of the nursery fought it and there
were lots of protests over it. But the courts allowed the land to be
condemned.

There was also a case where some land was condemned to expand parking for
the Gateway International Speedway which is private property. The IL
Supreme Court ruled it could not be condemned since taking land from one
private party to give to another violated the IL and US Constitutions as
that was not a public purpose.

Lots of time when people oppose something like setting up a park, you see
lots of people falsely claiming land will be condemned when that is not
allowed. I remember some efforts to protect streams in MO that he was
involved in when people who were opposing it were falsely claiming eminent
domain would be used.

I remember in Southern IL when the Cache National Wildlife Refuge was set
up. Even though condemnation was not allowed, the opponents kept claiming
land would be condemned. Once the Refuge was set up, there were lots more
people wanting to sell their land than there was money to buy the land.

Another example of its use was when the Meramac was going to be dammed and
the Army Corps of Engineers had bought up all the land that was to be
flooded. Fortunately, the dam was defeated. A lot of that land now is part
of Meramac State Park.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field