[GeoStL] I have a problem

  • From: Roger Barnes <rogbarn@xxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:11:35 -0500

-
Hello list,

I have a problem that I'm afraid I have spread among some other members
of this list and I hope some of the smart people here can help me figure
it out.

I have logged benchmark JC1585 and have encouraged others to log it when
they visit cache ST6-Reservoir Park.  Here are some facts that I have
put together with a lot of help from happycycler.

Benchmark JC1585 is designated as "St Louis Grand Lafayette Tower"
JC1585 was observed in 1871.
The coordinates for JC1585, which are adjusted (meaning they are pretty
darn accurate) map to a spot between the east bound lanes of I-44 and
the east bound on ramp.

The tower currently located near cache ST6:
is called "Compton Hill Tower" (or Compton Hill Water Tower)
was built in 1898
is decidedly _not_ next to the east bound lanes of I-44 :)

More information about this tower can be found at:
http://www.stlwater.com/towers.html
and
http://stlouis.missouri.org/comptonhill/tower.html

It appears that the tower that represents the benchmark was some former
tower that is no longer there.  Does anyone know anything about the
history of this?  Or perhaps know of some old maps that could be
researched?  Or anything else that could add to our knowledge of towers
in this area.  What was there before I-44 was built or prior to WW II or
WW I or 1900?  I have many questions because I don't know which one will
provide the spark to someone to provide a helpful piece of information.
Any information to help us understand this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Roger

p.s. I strongly suspect that I will have to change my log for JC1585
from a found log to not found or destroyed log.  But I'm going to wait
and see what comes out of my query here.
Subject field