[GeoStL] Re: GPX files taged as virii by yahoo..

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:11:45 -0600

-
Glenn, thanks for researching my problem. I have made the change you recommended. I'll let you know how it works. Bernie.

Glenn wrote:

-
We have been having problems with some GPX files from the pocket queries being tagged as a virus then deleted.

I have been doing some research and it is a known problem. All of the people that have reported problems had some sort of involvement with yahoo. Either their accounts were web yahoo accounts or the sbcglobal/yahoo accounts.

I use SBC but have not "upgraded" to the /yahoo option and I do not have a problem.

Here is the deal. Since the GPX files are text files, they cant be viruses as they cant execute BUT sometimes some of the java code cache owners place on their cache pages gets taged by the norton antivirus that yahoo uses.

Here is the fix...

When setting up your pocket quires, use the "zip" function to have groundspeak send them to you as a zipped file.

That has worked for several other cachers in the past. Anyone having a problem should give this option a try.

glenn