[GeoStL] Re: GPSr use in commercial aircraft

  • From: Jeff Tynan <hacemountaineering@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:49:51 -0500

-

Glenn,

For us, the FAA says pressure altitude is correct. If we were to use some other measurement we wouldn't be employed very long (not to mention the fines). This method is used so that everyone is using the same setting for measuring their altitude. The GPS may be more accurate depending on the conditions. Below 18,000ft, a local setting is used. This should match the gps altitude more closely.
-

which one is correct??

glenn

At 06:04 PM 8/19/2003, Jeff Tynan wrote:

One other detail about gps altitude readings in commercial aircraft. Whenever an aircraft is above 18000ft(in the US), the altimeter is set to a standard barometric pressure setting of 29.92 inches of mercury. Your gps could indicate an altitude which is significantly different from the altitude the crew is reading.

Jeff