[GeoStL] Re: Free high quality transparent Garmin Mapsource Topo and trail maps

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:46:44 -0500

-
Here is one way to do it:

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=155835

This way has some limitations and problems.  But it works.  If you are only
going to load a few maps, it is great.  I only use this method for loading
my trail maps as it allows you to make the trails show up as a thin red line
which is real easy to see in the GPS.

For all my other maps, I use a batch file.

If you only want to load the maps for MOGA, that is probably a good way.
But if you want all the maps I have made for the St. Louis area, your best
bet is to let me give you a CD and show you how to set it up.  I have about
80 maps so if you do it by yourself you have to download all the maps,
separate them by types, create files, etc.  It is very time consuming and
complicated.  If I give you a CD with all the map files and the files you
need to install them it is real easy.

If you get the CD from me you will need to:

1) Copy the map files to your computer and make sure you use the correct
directory.

2) Double click on 3 files to add some entries to the registry.

To get the trails to show up as red lines instead of a dashed line, you also
need to load two freeware programs and run one.

Once it is set up, updates are simple

If you download a newer version of the map (the ST Louis Area Trail map is
updated regularly) all you do is download the new one and replace the old
file on your computer.

If you want to add a new map, you have to edit a text file and add the name
of the file and then run a batch file.

Like I said, I am willing to make CDs and show you how to use them.  Anyone
interested, let me know ASAP.  These are really nice and free maps.  With a
CD from me, it will be real easy to set up and use.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"