[GeoStL] Re: Chicago Tribine geocaching story

  • From: "Mike Bollinger" <lazylightning7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 08:00:00 -0600

-
I'm not trying to defend the policy of these particular land managers,
but to understand where they are coming from, you need to put yourself
in their shoes.  I work for Jeff City Parks and Rec and you would not
believe the stupid things people do.  There are a lot of folks that
don't have the brains that my Garmin Legend has.  Vandalism and misuse
happens all the time.  Budgets are tight and repairs take money away
from new projects.

I probably don't need to tell you but there are some real morons out
there.  One time I was going out to one of our parks and some guys were
putting picnic tables on the roof of the pavilion. As I arrived, one of
the tables fell off, pulling one of the guys off the roof.  He took a
trip to the emergency room!

These land managers lump everyone into that group of users (morons)
until they distinguish themselves as 'normal' human beings.  That's why
CITO is so good.  We tell managers 'Hey we care about this place too.
We're good guys and we're on your side.'

I am now embarrassed to say when Matt1344 asked to place caches in JC
parks, I was against it.  I really didn't know what it was about.
'Pedophiles and Dope Heads' I said.  Now I know better!  Most land
managers are good guys, they just need a little educating.

From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Thu, 4 Dec 2003 18:40:40 -0600

>Jim,
>
>Looks like another quest for you. Tell them you're an IL tax paying
>citizen and want your money's worth!
>
>"Not to mention possibly falling down ravines and getting hurt. " Why
>do they think we will fall down and get hurt more than someone hiking
>in the woods, or is that disallowed too?
>
>Rich
Subject field