[GeoStL] 10 Years! question...

  • From: Jeff the Blue Bead Man <bluebeadman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:25:16 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

-
Actually, I'm looking at the oldest caches I've found and for some time I've
known about this little quirk.  I wonder how many other caches exist, or
existed, with this same little quirk.  Here's the quirk:  The oldest GC
numbered cache I've found is GC37 "Watts Mill First" over in Kansas City.  It
was something like the 50th cache EVER placed (there's an even older cache
further west in Kansas).  However, when I run a "It's not about the numbers" or
"FindStatGen" type statistic generator, the oldest cache listed is GC606
"Fishers of Men" which was originally placed as a letterbox on 6/5/1999.  Of
course, that is older than the May 3, 2000 placement of GC1.  The "Fishers of
Men" cache page (archived back in 2005--check out:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC606 ) lists the 1999
date as the cache placement date.  What I am wondering is how many other
"pre-May 3, 2000" caches exist or existed?  Certainly, an oddity, but one worth
noting.  Glenn, is Groundspeak thinking of doing something about changing those
dates?  Just curious...

-Jeff, the Blue Bead Man

-Jeff, the Blue Bead Man

from this