[BNU] Re: "reading in the electronic age", etc.

  • From: andy shields <ashields2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: braillenote@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 11:01:09 -0400

Hi,
Several comments, and a question.

I'll guarantee that I'm older than a lot of you (the first "talking books" I read as a kid were still being produced at 33-and-a-third RPM!), and the contrast to how things are now is sometimes hard to grasp or describe. I've been reading science fiction for over 50 years, so I've had a fair amount of exposure to a lot of possible futures and realities, and I'm still astonished every day at the range of material available, and the ability to download Braille almost instantly and take it anywhere (thank you, Apex!) As Miriam and David have said, the contrast to what was produced at all, and how you could (or couldn't) acquire it, is pretty amazing.

Oh, that Optacon: yeah, it was "primitive" and slow, and would seem even more so now. But the thing that balanced out all of its shortcomings was that since it could convert literally anything printed to a readable form, its usefulness was only limited by how much you, the reader, knew or maybe just how curious you were. I used mine to read maps (something I'd always wanted to do), package directions, mail, album and COULD covers, including picture captions and huge variations in print size and styles (white-on-black versus the usual reverse.) There are still things I was able to do with an Optacon that I haven't seen scanners handle (though I'm sure that's less so now, with an increasing amount of devices combining cameras and apps.) I've heard rumors of "the upgraded Optacon" for decades, so I'm a little skeptical, but would be happy to test one if it ever comes along.

About Bookshare, and specifically math and science: I asked this question of the list a while back (I think) and got no answer. In my occasional browsing of "new books" in general, I see huge numbers of what are either textbooks or at least very specialized titles referring to extremely technical areas of science, medicine and computing. Since they're being done at all, they must be readily readable for some segment of the Bookshare "audience." How are some of these things accessible within the limits of a refreshable Braille display; or, are people just reading them as DAISY files, maybe "with images"? (Small footnote about tables and Braille displays: I enjoy looking at baseball statistics-box scores, team and player records, etc. In books containing them, they're either omitted, or don't translate very coherently, given the limitations of a one-line format versus a multi-column table. I can get a lot from context and familiarity, but only so much. Now, back in the days of the Optacon-ya know, before the wheel was invented, when we had to walk to school 12 miles uphill both ways through the snow and were glad to do it ...-I would spend hours looking through things like The Sporting News Complete Baseball Record Book, partly just because I could, with no trouble. "I'm just sayin'."were

One more Bookshare thang: I see the dreaded accessibility changes seem to be a-comin'. I hope, as they mentioned, that they will indeed have "an alternative" for Braille users. I enjoy my Victor Stream more every day, but except when there's no other way to get through a book, I pretty much didn't buy it to be limited to reading with speech. We shall see what we shall see (figuratively.)

Andy
-------------------------------
BNU: BrailleNote Users - a forum for users of BrailleNote family of products
from Humanware.
Website: www.braillenoteusers.info

IMPORTANT: By default, replies will be sent to individuals. If you feel that your reply
would be useful for others, please use "reply to all" feature in your email
client.

If you wish to unsubscribe from this list, send an email with the subject line of
"unsubscribe" to braillenote-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

You can also visit our list page at:
www.freelists.org/list/braillenote
From this page, you can unsubscribe, change email delivery settings and view
list archives.

If you have any comments or questions for list moderators, please send an email
to braillenote-moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. Thanks.