[bksvol-discuss] Re: what the daisy tool does

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:56:28 -0700

Hi Robin,

I don't know whether it's obvious.  I know I had to be told how to do it.
We're here to help each other, so it's great that you asked.

I am pretty sure that if you don't feel like standardizing the margins, the
conversion tools will do it for you.

In case, like me, you feel more comfortable proofreading a nicely formatted
document, here's what you can do to standardize the margins.

By the way, this works for me using Microsoft Word 2003.  The dialogue I'm
talking about might be somewhat different in your version.  I'm not familiar
with that version, but you can try this:

Select the entire document by pressing control+a (That's hold down the
control key and press the letter a).
Open the menus by pressing the alt key
Right arrow to "format"
Down arrow here to "paragraph"
Hit enter.
Now you're in a dialogue through which you press the tab key to progress.
Set alignment to left
Outline level, Choose "body text"
Now you have a spinbox for setting the left margin, set it to 0
Another spinbox follows for right, set it also for 0
Now you have "special" down arrow here to "first line"
Tab again and it'll ask by how much to indent the first line of each
paragraph.  I like .5 inches. (This makes it easier to see where paragraphs
begin without having to turn on all of the mark-up while proofreading and
the conversion tools will remove the indentation later when converting the
file and this will do absolutely NO harm).
Now you have two boxes labeled "before" and "after" that you want to set at
0 pt.
Spacing should be set to single.
Now tab to okay and you're good to go.
Don't forget to save changes!

If I've forgotten anything, or been unclear, please write again and I'll
happily fix any inaccuracies I might have offered you.

Happy proofreading!

Mayrie