[bksvol-discuss] Re: what about letters for numbers

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 23:49:08 -0600

That isn't a brightness issue at all.  It's just that the characters look
too similar, so the OCR software guesses wrong.  It seems that there isn't a
solution for that problem other than editing.
I wonder if some software has been designed to do the same thing with OCR as
with voice recognition, so the user could "train" the software to recognize
certain shapes as a different character than might be expected.  That would
sometimes be useful, but of course it wouldn't be too helpful when it isn't
possible to see the character being misrecognized.  It would still have
problems sometimes anyway, because i's and 1's can be recognized incorrectly
and correctly in the same document.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/